Thursday 31 March 2011

Scotland (Quick, Quick!) 2/12-13/11

Saturday 2/12/11

Well, the next morning I got ready, brought my bags downstairs and prepared myself to receive complimentary breakfast. No, no. That would be silly. The girl at the bar (cafe/lounge bar) told me that her manager didn't tell her of any deal that included breakfast.
One thing I cannot stand...people not keeping their word. So I angrily marched down the road and got a cheap cup of coffee and a box of cereal. Upon my return, I find out that she made a mistake...and breakfast was INDEED free. So, I went to the bar and got my money back (other people had paid three pounds for their breakfast) and because I was dissatisfied I got a free mug of tea and a free juice box. TAKE THAT LADY OF "DURHDURHDURH!!"
Anyways...I got on the bus and WOW!! We stopped in so many places and I took SO. MANY. PICTURES.
My tour guide was Gavin Hunter and he wore a kilt (tartan) the entire time. Rep-re-sent. He was fantastic, so funny and filled with so much knowledge that he took so much time to review as we drove over the Scotland hills.
My favorite stop of the trip was Inverary. It was absolutely gorgeous. I can't even describe how serene the loch and the little town was. I purchased Scottish candy and browsed their infamous whiskey shop (bought NOTHING). But really it was just so quaint. Also, Elaina and I purchased a box of biscuits for real cheap and they were diviiiiiinnneee! Irrelevant!
After driving around for hours we ended up in Oban, where our second and final Scottish hostel was located. It was super cute and homey which I really liked. They had free tea, coffee and hot chocolate all of the time and the guy working at the desk was incredibly friendly and kind. The lounge had a pool table, comfy couches, the kitchen area and a fireplace. After arriving, I sat by the fire with Elaina, Michelle, Natalie and Anna with a cup of tea. So wonderful. Made me miss being at home around Christmas this year.
We went out for dinner and after getting a suggestion from a woman from Wisconsin we ended up at the WORST place in the ENTIRETY OF SCOTLAND with the worst service and THE LAMEST EXCUSE FOR A CHEESE PLATE I HAVE EVER ORDERED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. ABSOLUTELY POOP!
Oh well! Went to bed around 10:30/11 PM after hanging in the lounge, drinking a bowl of tea and watched people interact/play pool. I slept so well and for a good amount of time, too! Thankfully!

2/13/11

Woke up and had two cinnamon scones with jam, made a pb sandwich for later, got on the road and stopped a couple of places including a stop where we saw Hamish the great highland coo! So cute!
Before that, we drove through a part of Scotland that was a winter wonderland! I didn't get to experience a Jersey winter (SNOW!) and then, as we are driving on the coast, the rain turned to snow and before I knew it, we were driving through a BLIZZARD! From the comfort of my heated coach, I go to "experience" snow. That was nice.
The entire time I listened to Coldplay. It was horribly appropriate and their songs essentially portrayed the calm I was feeling.
The last stop of the day was at Stirling Castle. It was so beautiful but I must admit, castles (stone and history) don't really blow my mind. I would have preferred to explore the town.
After some time at Stirling Castle, we headed back to Edinburgh and hopped on a train that was to take only 4-5 hours...
WE HAD SOME LOVELY DELAYS THAT EXTENDED OUR JOURNEY BY 2 HOURS. COOL! SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO COOL!! Not. At. All. By the time I got back the Tube had closed and I had to take the Night Bus home. It wasn't terrible...but annoying.
I got home and was greeted (tackled) by an EXTREMELY excited and relieved Dani upon my return (I was two hours late and my little ladies (Emma and Dani) were worried! Awww!
It was a gorgeous night and I did not want to go to sleep right away and so Dani and I went on a walk to Portobello Road...the BACK way! Dani lead the way and arm-in-arm she showed me the cute streets and gorgeous architecture I had been living so close to but knew not of its existence.
What a perfect end to a gorgeous and peaceful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment